hobby

Dark Souls artwork in progress 09/2018

The background is finished! Compared to the previous piece I’ve done for my brother it was easy-peasy, but then I suspect that every artwork I do from now on will be short and sweet in comparison.

Every one of my artworks involved some luck along the way, and this time I was stoked to find the crinkly silky fabric of just the right ochre shade (finding the right colour can be a bitch). Another unexpected bonus was getting the air bubbles effect on the gold fabric I’ve used for the sky; in any other artwork it would have been a disaster, but with this one the more texture the better. Now it’s time to begin on the main figure and the real fun starts.

Advertisements

New artwork is officially a thing

I’ve started on my next fabric artwork project, once again requested by my brother. This time he wanted me to base it on a video game called Dark Souls III, featuring this rather intimidating gentleman who seems to be experiencing serious wardrobe malfunction:

This will be an interesting challenge; it’s not the easiest image to execute with fabrics and will most likely require a mix of materials like leather and paints and some thinking outside the box.

For now, I’ve finished creating the template. From my previous experience I knew better than attempting to do the drawing in Illustrator straight from the image – I reduced the opacity of the image, printed it out, traced over it with a pen, scanned it, then did a vector drawing in Illustrator. Now it’s time for trawling through the fabric stores.

Sail Artwork in Progress 01/2018

I’ve procrastinated for longer than I would have wished, but I’m still pretty pleased with the progress having completed most of the fiddly sea area. It doesn’t matter how many shades of fabric you have, you still end up making endless trips to Spotlight for more.

Finally starting a new artwork

It took me two years to complete my previous artwork, and though I was very proud of the result the amount of detail and effort I put into it was pretty draining. So after a year’s break from all things fabric I’m finally starting a new one. This one was requested by my Mum, who asked for a nautical theme with a sail boat. A straightforward image of a sail boat would be a bit boring, not to mention hard to simplify, so I found this blocky cubist-style image as an inspiration that could be fun to execute with fabric:

(more…)

Artwork in Progress

Eight figures completed, 4.5 to go… unfortunately all four are rather complicated so that’s 4-5 more months, at least. That’s the longest I’ve spent on any of my fabric projects, I’m so taking a long break after this one. I had to start a new sheet as well since the cardboard pieces aren’t large enough. I can’t believe I actually didn’t measure them when I started my very first figure – the yellow one on the left just fits. Phew!

RvB_Nov15

RvB_Nov15